Doomfist is getting a rework to address his low pick rate as well as his viability, role as well as suitability within the current meta. In the most recent post on Battle.net’s Overwatch forums, Blizzard revealed that they are working on several aspects of the hero to make him more viable especially on competitive play and the game in general. Among the improvements being fixed include:
- Wall slamming should be much improved: The wall slamming logic has also been simplified so players should find that a 45 degree impact angle is the cutoff between the target being slammed into the wall, or sliding off. This is the biggest change that should be noticeable instantly.
- Rocket Punch now breaks breakables again: Not only was the bug fixed that caused it to no longer break breakables, but the system we have in place now should break them much more consistently than before;
while they are working on several aspects such as:
- Ghost punches : This is an issue where you Rocket Punch and go through an enemy, instead of impact them. Some of these reports are latency related, but we did find an issue that was causing this to come up beyond just typical networking issues. Hopefully we’ll get in a fix in soon.
- Corner bounce : This happens if you use Rocket Punch near a corner or edge, and it causes you to ‘bounce’ off and slide quite a ways away, probably messing up your punch. This is a recent bug caused by a seemingly unrelated change. We have identified why this can happen though, and are working on a fix for it;
And on top of that, are working on resolving several issues related to:
- Rocket punch vs. Rocket Punch/Charge : We get reports that it can feel really ‘random’ what happens when 2 Doomfists using Rocket Punch hit each other, or a Reinhardt using charge hits a Doomfist that is Rocket Punching. We’re still gathering data and information on this one, and hope to be able to improve the consistency of situation. The intended result is that both players should fall over, much in the same way that two Reinhardts charging into each other knocks both of them down.
- Aerial Seismic Slam sometimes causing Grounded Seismic Slam : We’ve gotten reports of people being up in the air and using Seismic Slam sometimes triggering the ‘Grounded’ version instead of the ‘Aerial’ version. This one seems really rare so its pretty hard to track down, but we’re looking into it.
To read the full release, head over here. The new fix can now be tested on the Public Test Region (PTR) by the way.
What do you think of Doomfist’s position and low pick rate? Is it meta-related due to everyone gravitating heavily towards Moira or simply Doomfist’s kit – literally bringing a fist to a gun fight? Share us your thoughts in the comments section below.