Update: Japan’s version of the PlayStation Classic has its own unique list, and it’s way better.
So PlayStation is getting into the mini retro console game with the PlayStation Classic. So far, PlayStation revealed 5 games for its PS1 Mini: Tekken 3, Ridge Racer Type 4, Final Fantasy VII, Jumping Flash!, and Wild Arms.
Now we get the full 20 game list, and here they are:
- Battle Arena Toshinden
- Cool Boarders 2
- Destruction Derby
- Final Fantasy VII
- Grand Theft Auto
- Intelligent Qube
- Jumping Flash!
- Metal Gear Solid
- Mr. Driller
- Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
- Resident Evil Director’s Cut
- Revelations: Persona
- Ridge Racer Type 4
- Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
- Syphon Filter
- Tekken 3
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
- Twisted Metal
- Wild Arms
Do you taste that? It’s vanilla, and not the French kind. Truth be told, this list seems safe and has less of a wow and pizzaz factor. As an old-school gamer myself, I naturally have grievances:
- Where is Tomba 1 and Tomba 2?
- Where is the original Klonoa?
- Why Twisted Metal and not Twisted Metal 2, the far superior sequel with the better selection of vehicles & characters?
- Where is Grand Theft Auto 2, the underrated sequel?
- Why pick Revelations: Persona when the two-part sequel Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment is superior? For that matter, the PSP version of Revelations: Persona makes the PS1 completely redundant.
- If you have Final Fantasy VII, you should not count out Xenogears, another tide-turner of an RPG. That needs to be in given its magnitude and legacy.
- While personally not my cup of tea, The Legend of Dragoon is a favourite among PlayStation gamers. Why not add that game in?
- Do we seriously need more Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo?
Despite this, kudos to PlayStation for the Metal Gear Solid, Rayman, Syphon Filter, Battle Arena Toshinden, and Mr Driller additions.
Let’s see what’s on the Japanese side of things:
- Arc the Lad
- Arc the Lad 2
- Armored Core
- Gradius Gaiden
- XI [sai]
- SaGa Frontier
- G Darius
- Parasite Eve
These games will replace Cool Boarders 2, Destruction Derby,Grand Theft Auto, Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee, Rayman, Syphon Filter,Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six, and Twisted Metal in the Japanese version. Still no Xenogears, but at least there’s the Arc the Lad games.
The device will be out 3rd December, making it a nice Christmas present to anyone who likes their retro collection a little less daring.