This is a big one for fighting game fans and Mortal Kombat aficianados. A QA tester leaked information (via 4chan & ResetEra) concerning the upcoming Mortal Kombat XI, which is probably going to be announced at the Video Game Awards 2018.
Here are the details. Watch out for possible spoilers:
- The game’s development took 4 years, even going far as being developed during Mortal Kombat X’s dev cycle.
- The game will have a proper Adventure mode. And here’s the best part: it’ll be a new version of Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks where you beat up enemies in third-person action beat-em-up glory and a character customization option.
- Just like that old PS2/Xbox game, the game will feature 2 player co-op with drop-in and drop-out options. Unlike that old game, however, there’s online now.
- Story Mode is back and is separate from Adventure Mode. It’ll revolve around 3 major characters.
- At the end of MKX, Raiden turns evil. Or did he? In any case, he’ll be the guy who punishes anyone and everyone who dares attack Earthrealm.
- Liu Kang and Kitana hook up and become emperor and empress of Edenia.
- It seems Shang Tsung, Reiko (new in MKXI), and Kotal Kahn are in cahoots to protect and rule the Outworld.
- Apart from Reiko, it seems that Raiden’s brother Fujin will be playable in MKXI.
- The following characters will not be playable but will appear in the game’s story: Johnny Cage, Goro, Sonya Blade, Kano, Baraka, Mileena, Ferra Torr. They may be DLC in the future though.
Until it’s made official by NetherRealm Studios, take this info with a grain of salt. I do hope, however, that the Shaolin Monks mode is true. Goddamn that game was awesome; it’ll be great to see a sequel of sorts for this to make a comeback.