With less than a month to go until the launch of its first season, the first full trailer for Netflix‘s The Umbrella Academy has arrived. It looks just as strange and crazy as the comics it’s adapted from.
For those who don’t know, The Umbrella Academy is an Eisner award-winning comic book mini-series written by ex-My Chemical Romance frontman Gerard Way and drawn by Gabriel Ba. It features a dysfunctional family of superheroes similar to that of Marvel’s X-Men or DC Comics’ Doom Patrol (which Gerard cites as one of his main inspirations).
From the trailer, it looks like the upcoming Netflix series will adapt from the first two volumes of The Umbrella Academy: Apocalypse Suite and Dallas. That means not only will the protagonists have to face the impending threat of the end of the world, but also a cabal of time-policing assassins. Things will get insane, as only Gerard Way could have dreamt of.
Netflix’s The Umbrella Academy boasts an all-star cast including:
- Ellen Page as Vanya Hargreeves / The White Violin, a violinist with no superpowers but is an expert on the violin
- Tom Hopper as Luther Hargreeves / Spaceboy, a former astronaut with super strength whose body is that of a Martian Ape
- Robert Sheehan as Klaus Hargreeves / The Séance, a slacker with telekinesis and the ability to communicate with the dead
- Emmy Raver-Lampman as Allison Hargreeves / The Rumor, a tomboy with the ability to manipulate reality by lying
- David Castañeda as Diego Hargreeves / The Kraken, a rebellious troublemaker with enhanced breath holding and gifted knife-throwing techniques
- Aidan Gallagher as Number Five / The Boy, an unnamed child/adult who can time travel
- Mary J. Blige as Cha-Cha, a Neo-Nazi criminal. Unlike the comics, the character is female
- Cameron Britton as Hazel, Cha-Cha’s partner
- Colm Feore as Sir Reginald Hargreeves / The Monocle, an alien masquerading as a human billionaire industrialist
- Adam Godley as Pogo, a chimpanzee and Reginald’s closest assistant.
- John Magaro as Leonard Peabody
The Umbrella Academy is slated to launch on 15 February 2019. Check out the first full trailer below, featuring an exclusive song cover of ‘Hazy Shade of Winter’ performed by Gerard Way himself and ex-My Chemical Romance lead guitarist Ray Toro.