Fortnite Live Organisers Sued by Epic Games

Epic Games is suing the organisers of Fortnite Live, an unlicensed and under-planned Fortnite party that drew quite a crowd in England then disappointed them, for using the game’s name and imagery without permission.

Let’s go back and see what went wrong:

  • The entrance fee cost parents £12-20 (RM64 to RM106) to a show that offers some terrible attractions and rows of PCs that charged people to play Fortnite, a free-to-play game.

  • They had no permission at all to use the Fortnite brand. They even had a small disclaimer on their taken down website’s footer, however, Epic Games wasn’t happy with that.

According to Epic Games, they said that “the quality of our player experience is incredibly important to us, whether it’s inside the game or at official public events like last year’s Fortnite Pro-Am.”

“Epic Games was not in any way associated with the event that took place in Norwich and we’ve issued a claim against the organizers in the High Court of London.”

Epic’s legal action has caused Exciting Events, the organiser of Fortnite Live, to cease all trading. The owner, Shaun Lord, said via an email sent to all customers, “Epic Games, the owners of Fortnite, have now forced the shut down of the two pre-booked future Fortnite Live events.”

“These proceedings by Epic Games has had a catastrophic impact on the company’s ability to trade, which has forced Exciting Events Limited to cease all trading activities immediately and the director of Exciting Events will now seek to limit the losses to third parties as far as possible.”

According to Lord, the company’s assets will be liquidated and would be distributed to their creditors, beginning with HM Revenue & Customs. Any remaining funds will then be split between other creditors, including customers that secured individual agreements for a refund at Fortnite Live’s event on Saturday, February 16th, and those that received ticket cancellation emails before 10 am on Sunday.

Ticket holders for planned events in Spalding and Newark, now cancelled, will automatically be included on the creditor list.

Author: Syazwan Bahri

A budding writer and an avid gamer. I hunt monsters, drive race cars, and slay space gods to keep the Last City safe.

2 thoughts on “Fortnite Live Organisers Sued by Epic Games

Leave a Reply