The end of the triple-tank, triple support meta a.k.a GOATS may be around the corner if these new hero changes slated for the PTR goes live.
Detailed earlier today by Geoff Goodman, a member of the Overwatch developer team, the upcoming PTR changes buffs up several DPS heroes while nerfing several support and tanks which in turn, results in higher burst damage, slushier barriers and of course, shorter sustain. As posted on the Blizzard forums, the post, alongside our immediate thoughts in bold, red text read:
“We’re looking at updating the PTR soon with the following additional hero changes:
- Frag Launcher: Impact damage increased from 40 to 60
Team KKP: It’s the return of the Junk meta! Also, expect the Houston Outlaws to reactivate their Junkrat specialist, Jake.
This change significantly increases Junkrat’s damage output allowing him to effectively seal-off choke points, and shred down shields.
- Speed Song: Effect lowered from 30% to 20%
- Amp it up: Speed song amped effect reduced from 70% to 50%
- Wall Ride: Passive movement speed gained while wall riding increased from 20% to 40%.
Team KKP: Lucio’s getting hit hard here. This will reduce his effectiveness and picks on king-of-the-hill maps.
- Bonus damage ramp from the previous 1.34 change will now begin after 1.5s, down from 2.5.
Team KKP: He was fine as it is. Why change this? Geez.
- Passive: Healing amount reduced from 50% to 40%
Team KKP: We feel this reduction is fair. Stops Reaper from being too dominant considering how barriers and tanks are more vulnerable with this PTR update
- Photon Projector: Primary fire damage ramp speed increased by 20%
Team KKP: A situational hero at best and this increase rewards good aim. We have no issues with this.
- Particle Cannon: Alternate fire radius reduced from 2-3 to 1-2 (based on energy level)
Team KKP: Following the Junkrat buff (listed above) – this is an insignificant change. It does hit Zarya’s dominance a bit, but negligible.
- Orb of Discord: Effect reduced from 30% to 25%
- Orb of Destruction: Damage increased from 46 to 48
Team KKP: Miniscule change but a nett nerf for Zen here.
Geoff ended the post with “I’m not sure exactly when these changes will hit PTR, but we’re hoping tomorrow or Friday.”
Better late than ever, right?
These changes, if implemented, should come into effect once Overwatch’s 30th hero, Baptiste goes live. Not content with him possibly being the answer to the dreaded 3-3/ GOATS meta, Blizzard’s move to suggest the changes above is a step in the right direction to ensure the game is not only fun to play, but also to watch.
We can’t wait what new meta comes out from all of this but our hope is to see the return of DPS heroes to the fold.