Netflix has teamed up with Japanese studios such as Anima, Sublimation, and David Production to bring us more anime content in 2019. Netflix’s partnership also includes earlier deals with Production I.G and Bones in 2018.
Let’s break down the shows that will be up:
- Altered Carbon: Resleeved – This anime feature spin-off from Anima, set in the same universe of the Netflix live-action sci-fi series, will explore new elements of the story mythology.
- Dragon’s Dogma – Originally a Capcom game, the anime by Sublimation follows the adventure of a man brought back to life and challenged by demons who represent the seven deadly sins of humans.
- Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 – Brought to Netflix by Production I.G, the sequel of much-acclaimed Ghost In the Shell SAC series has come back as a full 3DCG anime series.
- SPRIGGAN – Edgy sci-fi battle action by David Production about a man with supernatural powers to seal historical remains.
- Vampire in the Garden – An original series by WIT STUDIO on two girls Momo and Fine about an unlikely friendship between human and vampire race that intertwines with the power or music.
- Super Crooks – Coming to Netflix thanks to bones.inc and Mark Millar as well as artist Leinil Francis Yu, the creators of Kick-Ass and Wanted. Crime and thrills meet supernatural powers in this Millarworld title.
Netflix Director of Content (Japan) John Derderian had this to say about the upcoming lineup:
“Netflix aims to be the most compelling and attractive home for anime fans, creators and production studios. We are creating an environment where production houses can do their best work, and deliver their shows on a service where we connect anime fans from over 190 countries to content they love”.
These deals indicate a strong commitment from Netflix to grow its quality anime library by working in tandem with top creators of the industry. Production line deals are one of the best ways to secure top craftsmen in the industry in every process of production, integral to continue bringing the highest quality content to members around the world.