It’s been one year since Sea of Thieves came out, and truth be told, it’s shaping up to be quite a multiplayer experience. While its early few months were in dire straits, the end-of-year updates and free DLC put them back onto calmer tides.
To celebrate its entire year of ups and downs, Microsoft and Rare announced its free Anniversary Update which is due 30 April. Pirates old and new will get to:
- Experience Tall Tales: Shores of Gold mode where you play through a series of solo quests and adventures while getting immersed in the narrative of Sea of Thieves.
- Play a new PvP mode called the Arena.
- Experience a new ship damage system. This means that masts, capstans, and wheels can be damaged during battle; if these are wrecked, it’ll be harder for you and enemies to perform evasive maneuvers.
- Use a new weapon: the harpoon. You can use it to snipe enemies or even loot from far away.
- Fish, hunt, and cook animals be it land or sea.
Check out the bits of new gameplay below. This may be more than enough to make landlubbers consider getting Sea of Thieves end of April.