We may be going back to the Grid while some Daft Punk-style OST plays in the background.
Assuming this piece of news is even true – this is Disney we’re dealing with- I’m pretty surprised that someone out there wants an open-world game based on TRON, perhaps one of Disney’s underrated sci-fi film series. Here’s what we know (via Reddit):
- The game will be developed by Ubisoft. The project was started by Ubisoft Shanghai around 3 or so years ago, with production ramping up at this point in time.
- Its aesthetics is closer to the previous film TRON: Legacy than the original, right down to the Daft Punk music.
- The title’s focus in open-world design is verticality and transportation; Light Cycles and Jets can be called in anytime in the open world.
- The game’s single-player and multiplayer modes are connected; players will get to interact with the same characters and world.
- So far, the title is sounding more like a Destiny clone but set in the TRON universe. Players can customize their avatar with different ID disks, swords, shields, and so forth for combat.
- Arena-style online PvP will also be the game’s other feature to complement its heavily-focused online nature.
- Internally, the game is set for a 2021 release but is subject to change.
- Which platforms? So far it will be on current-gen but right now Ubisoft’s focus is on next-gen platforms.
Take all this with a grain of salt, but I for one will look forward to a game that will do the TRON franchise justice. Even if it might end up as another Ubisoft sandbox game.