Calling all Malaysian university students.
Media Prima Digital and Celcom Axiata Berhad have announced the second semester of the Celcom XPAX Kejohanan E-Sukan Kampus (KEK) collegiate esports competition, with a total prize pool of RM180,000.
Organised by MyGameOn and Kitamen, Celcom XPAX KEK Semester 2 will be held in five different zones in Malaysia, including the following:
- Borneo – Wilayah Persekutuan Labuan, Sabah & Sarawak (Universiti Malaysia Sarawak, Kuching) 21-22 September 2019
- Southern – Negeri Sembilan, Melaka & Johor (Paradigm Mall, Johor Bahru) 28-29 September 2019
- Central – Kuala Lumpur, Selangor & Putrajaya (Universiti Teknologi Mara, Puncak Alam) 5-6 October 2019
- Northern – Perak, Penang, Perlis & Kedah (Universiti Sains Malaysia, Pulau Pinang) 12-13 October 2019
- East Coast – Pahang, Terengganu & Kelantan (Kuantan City Mall, Pahang) 26-27 October 2019
- Grand Finale – (The Curve, Damansara) 23-24 November 2019
Two games will be contested, including Mobile Legends Bang Bang and PUBG Mobile. The event will begin with online qualifying rounds, where teams will fight for the coveted spots in the top 16.
The qualifying teams will then test their mettle in the final zones, which are stated above. The winners from each zone will finally compete in the grand finale at the end of November 2019.
In addition, the campus with the most points will receive a scholarship worth RM50,000, thanks to Celcom’s XPAX eSports empowerment initiative. Students who are interested in competing can register their team at the MyGameOn official website here.
Celcom XPAX KEK Semester 2 will also feature several new elements, including youth education through a series of esports forums with industry players, a KEK TRIAL where attendees can win prizes by competing and playing games themselves, as well as entertainment in the form of local artists like Hael Husaini, Indah Ruhaila, Ismail Izzani, Nabila Razali, and more.
Media Prima Digital CEO Rafiq Razali said:
“Looking at the esports crowd that keeps growing from time to time, #XPAXKEK is the platform to not just nurture our promising young talents but also tap on the grassroots participation all over Malaysia.
#XPAXKEK is not just a weekend event; it’s an event to educate, to entertain and also to help the local esports community to bloom into a high potential career opportunity in the future.”
In the meantime, check out pictures from the announcement event earlier today below.