Despite all the great milestones Apex Legends has achieved, it’s worth remembering that the game is only nine months old. In late October, it was revealed that the game had already hit 70 million players and EA has made it one of their primary games of 2020.
Fans will be happy to know that a new patch has just dropped and it introduces a host of improvements plus some really cool new features that a lot of people have been asking for. The major additions in Patch 3.1 are the Firing Range, rerolling Daily Challenges with Legend Tokens, and a change in how the penalty for abandoning ranked matches work.
Welcome To The Firing Range
Apex Legends has a tutorial but that’s it. It teaches some of the basic mechanics but doesn’t really give the player the freedom to understand other important aspects of the game such as getting to know all the weapons and items. Thankfully, we now have the Firing Range to mitigate that.
Aside from letting you experiment with ALL the Legends (only ones you’ve unlocked), weapons, armors, attachments, and other items, the Firing Range can also be entered with your squad. It would’ve been great to just get a solo Firing Range but this is even better especially for new players who can have a friend guide them in the Firing Range.
Just like in the tutorial, there will target dummies in the Firing Range for you to practice on. Respawn makes it clear that they wish to keep improving the Firing Range so go ahead and test it out to see what you would want to be added into the new training mode.
Keep Rollin’, Rollin’, Rollin’
Ever felt like today’s Daily Challenges just aren’t all that fun or interesting? Even worse, some of the challenges need you to use a hero you haven’t unlocked yet or have no interest in unlocking. Well, the new reroll mechanic that will let you change your Daily Challenges using Legend Tokens is now available for you to use.
Here’s how it works:
- First reroll: 200 Legend Tokens
- Second reroll: 500 Legend Tokens
- Third or more reroll: 1000 Legend Tokens for each reroll.
- Cost increases with each purchase before capping out at 1000 Legend Tokens.
- Cost resets every day.
How Dare You Leave Ranked
Prior to this, leaving a ranked match after you died but your banner was picked up by surviving teammates would get you penalised. The new patch now fixes this by lettting players leave ranked matches after 2 minutes and 30 seconds have passed since their banner was picked up.
To help make things clear, players will even be reminded with a pop up that lets them know whether or not they will be penalised for leaving the ranked match at a given time.
And Everything Else
Now that we’ve got the big parts out of the way, here’s everything else that’s fixed, nerfed, buffed, and tinkered with in patch 3.1:
- Reduced the headshot multiplier: 2.15 -> 2.1
Changes to Projectile Collision: We’ve increased the projectile width on the some weapons so they are easier to hit with. We made this change to the TripleTake in Season 2 and the following will be updated for this patch:
- Shotguns: All shotguns will have projectiles with a small amount of width.
- Snipers: The Longbow DMR, Kraber, and G7 Scout.
QUALITY OF LIFE
- In an effort to surface easier challenges to players more often and offer a balanced set of challenges each day, Daily Challenge distribution has been adjusted so players are guaranteed to receive 1 easy, 1 medium, and 1 hard challenge.
- You can now adjust the game cursor velocity in Settings -> Controller. This will apply to cursor velocity in all menus including the Lobby, Pause/Inventory menus, and Death Box inventories.
- We now show you what Music Pack you have selected while dropping into the map. If you only have the “default” Pack selected you won’t see anything.
- Improved flow from Lobby to Match that fixes some minor bugs and will hopefully get players into matches a bit faster.
- Disabling pregame spawning of players before character selection. This will address cases where players might hear someone voice comms or other sounds before the Legend selection starts.
- The “Waiting for Players…” transition now shows the game world instead of a black screen.
- Removed the 5 second countdown that would start at the beginning of Legend selection.
- Player will now be able to view the ammo types of their squadmates equipped weapons when in the inventory menu.
- [Controller] you can now open the quip wheel by holding down on the dpad (you can still do it the old way – open ping menu and press Y).
- [PC] Quick Chat binding should now auto bind to F1 if it isn’t bound to anything (assuming nothing is already bound to F1).
- Fixed a bug where players would stay in place while the train keeps moving when reviving another player.
- Updated the layout of the minimap that was previously showing a route that doesn’t exist.
- Fixed cases where players could drop into Out of Bounds areas without getting the timer.
- Fixed cases of some areas where players could take lava damage near the Volcano when there isn’t any lava.
- Fixed display issue with post game where it would show you earning 2 battle pass levels for levelling up via Stars.
- EMP now will damage armor that players have dropped.
- Fixed a bug where Lifeline’s drone couldn’t heal Crypto while he was in the drone.
- Fix for friendly Caustic gas kicking Crypto out of his drone.
- Fixed bug where sometimes the missiles from Bangalore’s Ultimate would disappear after landing on the train.
Read the official patch notes here.