NHK recently gathered the thoughts and opinions of 468,000 Japanese folks to ask this one important question: what’s the best Final Fantasy game ever?
Here’s the breakdown. If you’re expecting to be surprised by the country’s picks, well, you really don’t know Japan at all…
- Final Fantasy X
- Final Fantasy VII
- Final Fantasy VI
- Final Fantasy IX
- Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
- Final Fantasy V
- Final Fantasy VIII
- Final Fantasy IV
- Final Fantasy XI
- Final Fantasy XV
- Final Fantasy Tactics
- Final Fantasy III
- Crisis Core – Final Fantasy VII
- Final Fantasy XIII
- Final Fantasy XII
Here are Japan’s top 10 Final Fantasy characters…
- Emet Selch (FFXIV)
- Zack Fair
….and their favourite bosses & Summons
- Knights of the Round
- Braska’s Final Aeon
- Bahamut Type-0
- Sildra (FFV)
- Safer Sephiroth
They even listed down their favourite music tracks from the series:
- “At Zanarkand”
- “Battle at the Big Bridge”
- “Eyes On Me”
- “In Search Of Friends”
- “Blinded By Light”
- “One-Winged Angel”
- “Aerith’s Theme”
- “Melodies of Life ~ Final Fantasy”
- “Main Theme” (Final Fantasy)
- “Those Who Fight Further”
- More females love Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy IX within the top five.
- It’s a shame that FF Tactics isn’t in the top 10, but at least it’s still hanging with some of the big boys.
- Final Fantasy XI has been defunct for a while, which goes to show how revolutionary and impactful it was at the time.
- How in God’s name is FFXIII better than FFXII?
- Lightning and “Blinded By Light” are probably the only good things that came out of Final Fantasy XIII. The main game, that is; the sequels are fine.
- I’m not at all surprised at the Knights of the Round and Kefka taking the top two slot in the boss/summons department. They’re pretty badass.
- How did “Eyes On Me” rank higher than the bottom 7? It’s not exactly Faye Wong’s best song, you know…
If you want the correct list games-wise, head here. I know I’m right. Stay tuned this month for the correct listing for the best Final Fantasy music tracks of all time.