Final Fantasy Tactics returns. Sort of.
War of the Visions: Final Fantasy Brave Exvius is a free-to-play tactical turn-based strategy JRPG co-developed by Square Enix and Gumi Inc. It was initially released in Japan for Android and iOS devices on 14 November 2019.
It’s a spin-off of the mobile game Final Fantasy Brave Exvius, with XCOM-like gameplay derived from the Final Fantasy Tactics franchise. The international version of the game is now available for Android (Google Play Store) and iOS devices (Apple App Store), since 25 March 2020.
Story And Setting
The story takes place on the continent of Ardra on the world of Lapis, the primary setting of Final Fantasy Brave Exvius, depicting a war between five rival nations that occurred in the distant past.
Just like the main game, the war is waged using the power of Visions, physical manifestations of powerful warriors from different eras and worlds summoned using Crystals. It sort of works like the Servants in the Type/Moon’s Fate franchise.
Though small and surrounded by more powerful nations, the Kingdom of Leonis maintained its presence, thanks to an ancient ring bestowed upon the kingdom by the Winged One.
The ability to summon and command Visions was indeed a palpable military threat to the other kingdoms. The twin princes of Leonis, Mont and Sterne, fight over the Crystals.
How The Combat Works
Each battle occurs on a grid consisting of different tiles with different heights and altitudes. Units move on those tiles – depending on their move (horizontal tile range) and jump (height difference between tiles that can be crossed at once). However, there can only be one unit on each tile at once.
The player can send five units and a companion (the unit of a friend) into battle. Before combat commences, players can make preparations, by changing the equipment (first row) and summons (second row) of each unit.
Another important setting is the choice of the Vision card, which grants a special effect to the entire party.
Available Jobs And Classes
There are 19 jobs available to choose from in War of the Visions: Final Fantasy Brave Exvius.
Jobs determines what kind of abilities and stat growth a unit will have. A unit’s main job is locked, meaning the job they start off with when you first summon them cannot be changed, but players will later be able to unlock sub-jobs which can be equipped upon clearing stage 3-4.
What The Different Stats Mean
The units in War of the Visions: Final Fantasy Brave Exvius have the following basic stats:
- HP: A unit’s health value (unit will be KO’d when this value reaches 0).
- TP: Required to perform various abilities.
- AP: Required to perform various abilities, including Limit Bursts.
- ATK: Mainly affects the strength of physical attacks.
- MAG: Mainly affects the strength of magic attacks.
- AGI: Mainly affects the unit’s Evasion Rate and how quickly its CT accumulates.
- DEX: Mainly affects a unit’s Accuracy and Critical Hit Rate.
- Bravery: Affects how often reaction abilities will activate when taking physical damage.
- Faith: Affects how often reaction abilities will activate when taking magical damage.
- Luck: Mainly affects Accuracy and Evasion.
In addition to the main states above, equipping certain items might add the following additional stats:
- DEF: Mainly has an effect on defense from physical attacks
- SPR: Mainly has an effect on defense from magical attacks
- Critical: Mainly affects the unit’s ability to deal and evade Critical Hits
What Items Can Be Obtained Through Gacha
You can currently get two things through gacha mechanic; characters and Vision Cards. That is how players can get more characters to play with, and obtain Vision Cards, which are essential for combat.
Like any Gacha game, there are different tiers of rarity ranging from Normal to Ultra Rare, each of which comes with their own varied drop rate.