Eight minutes of new gameplay footage.
The latest State Of Play live stream has unveiled almost eight minutes worth of new gameplay footage for Naughty Dog‘s highly-anticipated The Last Of Us Part 2. The new The Last Of Us Part 2 gameplay trailer features a closer look at gameplay, threats, and world in the upcoming game.
The Last Of Us Part 2 director Neil Druckmann himself explained several of the game’s mechanics. These include:
The Last Of Us Part 2 Setting
- Ellie is 19 years old in The Last Of Us Part 2.
- Just like the first game, the story will span multiple seasons and climates.
- The Last Of Us Part 2 is powered by the latest iteration of the Naughty Dog engine.
- One of the main locations is the remains and ruins of Seattle, where two warring factions now reside and fight for territory.
The Last Of Us Part 2 Factions And Enemies
- The first is the Washington Liberation Front or WLF, a well-armed militia group which initially formed as part of a resistance against the military occupation of Seattle.
- The WLF is very aggressive and will shoot trespassers on sight. They will also use dogs to sniff out the player’s scent.
- The other faction is the Seraphites or Scars, religious zealots who can be recognised from the deep cuts on their faces.
- The Scars are more stealthy and tend to use silent weapons like bows and arrows.
The Last Of Us Part 2 Gameplay Mechanics
- New traversal mechanics, like ropes that players can use to swing over terrain and reach more places.
- More ways to roam the environment, including horseback riding and driving boats.
- The Infected return with familiar types like the Clickers, Runners, and Stalkers, as well as new ones like the heavily-armoured Shamblers (who can also spew a toxic mist) and other unrevealed, more lethal versions.
- Players can go prone and use tall grass to hide, or even break glass to find more hiding places.
- If they’re discovered, players can choose to run away and reestablish stealth.
- Players can use enemies as human shields.
- There will be allies who join Ellie, helping her in combat by fighting alongside her and spotting enemies.
- Players can approach combat situations in various ways, including pitting different enemies (WLF, Scars, Infected, etc.) against each other.
- Upgrades can be obtained by picking up Training Manuals, while weapons can be modified and upgraded at Workbenches by using materials scavenged by players.
- A variety of offensive and defensive items like explosive arrows and Molotovs can be crafted.
The PS Vita Survived The Apocalypse
- The eight-minute never-before-seen extended gameplay sequence shows Ellie swimming, the seamless transition from gameplay to cinematic cutscenes, and more combat (in particular, stealth gameplay).
- On an unrelated but nevertheless amusing note, one of the enemies (during the eight-minute gameplay sequence) can be seen holding and playing a PlayStation Vita. It looks like the Vita survived the apocalypse in the world of The Last Of Us.
That’s all we know about The Last Of Us Part 2 so far. It is slated to release exclusively for the PS4 on 19 June 2020. For the Malaysian prices and details on the different editions of the game, head on over here.
In the meantime, check out the new gameplay trailer below.