New details from the highly-anticipated sequel.
Publisher Sony Interactive Entertainment and developer Guerrilla Games have released a new developer diary for newly-announced PS5 exclusive Horizon Forbidden West (sequel to 2017’s Horizon Zero Dawn). Game director Mathijs de Jonge reveals more details and confirms that the game will be launching in 2021.
Key details include:
- The title “Forbidden West” actually refers to a mysterious new frontier that stretches from Utah in the U.S.A. all the way to the Pacific Ocean in the west.
- With the PS5’s SSD, there will be virtually no loading screens, so in an open-world game like Horizon Forbidden West, if you open up the map and fast travel from one end to the other, or restart from a checkpoint, it will be super fast. And when you boot up the game, you’re right there in the action.
- The map is “a bit bigger” than Horizon Zero Dawn.
- Players can explore “what lies hidden beneath the surface of lakes and rivers”.
- Expect new machines like “Shell Snappers that guard the shores and swamps, Snapmaws that hunt the waterways, and Sunwings that patrol the skies”.
- New peaceful and hostile tribes.
In the meantime, check out the trailer below.