CBS All Access has announced that its new half-hour animated comedy series Star Trek: Lower Decks will premiere on 6 August 2020. Following the premiere, new episodes of the series’ 10-episode first season will be available to stream weekly.
Developed by Emmy Award-winner Mike McMahan (best known for Rick and Morty and Solar Opposites), Star Trek: Lower Decks focuses on the support crew serving on one of Starfleet’s least important ships, the U.S.S. Cerritos, in 2380.
Ensigns Mariner, Boimler, Rutherford and Tendi have to keep up with their duties and their social lives, often while the ship is being rocked by a multitude of sci-fi anomalies. The Starfleet crew residing in the “lower decks” of the U.S.S. Cerritos, includes:
- Ensign Beckett Mariner, voiced by Tawny Newsome.
- Ensign Brad Boimler, voiced by Jack Quaid.
- Ensign Tendi, voiced by Noël Wells.
- Ensign Rutherford, voiced by Eugene Cordero.
- Captain Carol Freeman, voiced by Dawnn Lewis.
- Commander Jack Ransom, voiced by Jerry O’Connell.
- Lieutenant Shaxs, voiced by Fred Tatasciore.
- Doctor T’Ana, voiced by Gillian Vigman.
Titmouse (Big Mouth), the Emmy Award-winning independent animation production company, serves as the animation studio for the series. Star Trek: Lower Decks is the first animated series to join the expanding Star Trek franchise on CBS All Access, which includes Star Trek: Picard; Star Trek: Discovery, and the upcoming recently-announced Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, as well as the in-development Section 31 series with Michelle Yeoh and a CG-animated Star Trek series aimed at younger audiences for Nickelodeon.