This is not your grandfather’s Star Trek.
Earlier this month, CBS All Access announced that its new half-hour animated comedy series Star Trek Lower Decks will premiere on 6 August 2020. Now, they have released the first trailer for the upcoming show, which promises a different type of Star Trek than fans of the franchise will be used to.
Developed by Emmy Award-winner Mike McMahan (best known for Rick and Morty and Solar Opposites), Star Trek Lower Decks focuses on the support crew serving on one of Starfleet’s least important ships, the U.S.S. Cerritos, in 2380.
Ensigns Mariner, Boimler, Rutherford and Tendi have to keep up with their duties and their social lives, often while the ship is being rocked by a multitude of sci-fi anomalies. The Starfleet crew residing in the “lower decks” of the U.S.S. Cerritos, includes:
- Ensign Beckett Mariner – Tawny Newsome.
- Ensign Brad Boimler – Jack Quaid.
- Ensign Tendi – Noël Wells.
- Ensign Rutherford – Eugene Cordero.
- Captain Carol Freeman – Dawnn Lewis.
- Commander Jack Ransom – Jerry O’Connell.
- Lieutenant Shaxs – Fred Tatasciore.
- Doctor T’Ana – Gillian Vigman.
Check out the trailer below: