Introducing a brand new award too.
With the regular season drawing to a close, it’s time to share the full slate of the 2020 Overwatch League awards. This year, they’re adding a new award; Coach of the Year, and bringing back all awards from last year. The winners will be announced during the postseason, which starts on 3 September 2020.
Here’s how the winners are chosen:
Regular Season MVP
The 2020 T-Mobile Overwatch League MVP will be awarded to the best player in the league. On 7 August 2020, the 10 finalists will be revealed, and fan voting will open on Twitter and on overwatchleague.com until 28 August 2020.
The winner will receive the MVP trophy, a US$100,000 cash prize provided by T-Mobile, and an MVP jersey patch for the 2021 season.
Previous winners included:
- Seong-Hyun “Jjonak” Bang, NYXL (2018)
- Jay “Sinatraa” Won, San Francisco Shock (2019)
Voting process: Fan votes account for 25 percent of the overall tally, with the other 75 percent coming from a combination of general managers, head coaches, broadcast talent, and media.
Grand Finals MVP
The 2020 T-Mobile Overwatch League Grand Finals MVP will go to the standout player in the biggest match of the year. The winner receives a special MVP trophy and a US$100,000 cash prize provided by T-Mobile.
- Jun-Young “Profit” Park, London Spitfire (2018)
- Hyo-Bin “Choihyobin” Choi, San Francisco Shock (2019)
Voting process: Voting will be conducted live during the Grand Finals, with fan votes accounting for 25 percent of the overall tally and the other 75 percent coming from a combination of general managers, head coaches, broadcast talent, and media. The winner will be announced after the conclusion of the Grand Finals match.
Dennis Hawelka Award
This award celebrates the contribution of Dennis “Internethulk” Hawelka to the Overwatch community. It’s presented each year to the player deemed to be the most outstanding example of positive influence on their teammates, their organization, and/or the community at large. The winner will receive a trophy and a jersey patch for the 2021 season.
- Pongphop “Mickie” Rattanasangchod, Dallas Fuel (2018)
- Scott “Custa” Kennedy, Los Angeles Valiant (2019)
Voting process: Teams nominate their player(s), and the League Office selects a winner.
The 2020 Overwatch League Role Stars are a collection of the top four players across each role: damage, tank, and support. This group of players represents the best of the best in the league. In order to qualify for Role Stars, there’s a 50 percent maps played minimum over the course of the season.
Previous Winners (2019):
- Corey “Corey” Nigra, Washington Justice
- Jin-Hyeok “Dding” Yang, Shanghai Dragons
- Hyo-Jong “Haksal” Kim, Vancouver Titans
- Jay “Sinatraa” Won, San Francisco Shock
- Hyo-Bin “Choihyobin” Choi, San Francisco Shock
- Qiulin “Guxue” Xu, Hangzhou Spark
- Dong-Gyu “Mano” Kim, New York Excelsior
- Matthew “Super” DeLisi, San Francisco Shock
- Ho-Jin “IDK” Park, Hangzhou Spark
- Young-Seo “Kariv” Bak, Los Angeles Valiant
- Grant “Moth” Espe, San Francisco Shock
- Ju-Seok “Twilight” Lee, Vancouver Titans
Voting process: General managers, head coaches, broadcast talent, and media vote on eligible players.
Rookie of the Year
The 2020 Rookie of the Year is awarded to the best new player in the Overwatch League. Players are eligible if they were not contracted in the previous Overwatch League season and have played at least 50 percent of maps this season for their team.
- Hyo-Jong “Haksal” Kim, Vancouver Titans (2019)
Voting process: General managers, head coaches, broadcast talent, and media select a winner from eligible players.
Coach of the Year
Newly-introduced for this season, this award recognizes the coach with the greatest impact on their team.
Voting process: General managers, head coaches, broadcast talent, and media vote.
Awards szn best szn 🏆
— Overwatch League (@overwatchleague) July 23, 2020