Crime spree, take 5.
The video game rumour mill is a-buzzing again, this time with details on the next Saints Row game from developer Volition (via ResetEra).
Here’s the breakdown on the sequel so far, which may make its debut at the PS5 Showcase this week. Do take this with a grain of salt though.
- The game will take place after Saints Row 3’s plot. Saints Row 4 and the Gat Out of Hell follow-up are actually retconned as a TV show in part 5.
- The game’s main premise is how the Saints become an evil corporate empire similar to Ultor. You play a new protagonist with a new cast to support you as you take on the old Saints for control over Stilwater.
- The Saints’ boss (your protagonist in parts 1 to 4) will wear a mask that muffles their voice and wear tactical body armour so that their look is open to interpretation.
- The game’s tone will be a split between 1, 2, and 3, which means it’ll be like a GTA title. The game will not feature superpowers and crazy skills like in part 4.
- Gameplay-wise, it’s going to be a mish-mash of the first three games. Character customization will be like part 2, dick censorship will be a black bar that adheres to “swinging physics”, weapon customization is toned down a tad from part 4, and there will be 4-player co-op with difficulty scaling to the number of players present.
- Multiplayer will be a 32-player free-roaming gang warfare with activities like Deathmatch activating dynamically in the world. You can drive around the map and then get a pop up from the game that invites you and the rest of the players to participate in Deathmatch.
- The game’s graphics will be like a better version of Saints Row 3’s Remastered.
- Saints Row 5’s will be out in late 2021, or even 2022. We can expect trailers for the game to pop up this year, probably at the PS5 showcase.
Again, take this with a grain of salt. But if it turns out to be true, it’ll be pretty interesting to fight your old Saints Row pals in a different light and with a new crew. A shame the superpowers will be gone though.