A recent Sensor Tower report has listed the top mobile games of 2020 from January to December. And no, there’s isn’t a mobile RPG gacha in the top three.
Instead, the top 6 games that earned its respective publishers a ton of money (in USD billions) are:
- PUBG Mobile, earning PUBG Corporation US$2.6 billion.
- Arena of Valor/Honor of Kings, earning Tencent US$2.5 billion.
- Pokémon GO, which earned Pokemon Company and Niantic US$1.2 billion.
- Coin Master (US$1.1 billion)
- Roblox (US$1.1 billion)
- Monster Strike (US$958 million)
According to Sensor Tower analyst Craig Chapple (via Venture Beat), global downloads and revenues for these games are trending high in 2020.
“Downloads have climbed down, though [they] still remain higher each month than in January. Player spending peaked in July at more than $7 billion, while in November the mobile games market still accumulated $6.6 billion — well above 2019 levels. So things are holding pretty steady globally.”
Most of these numbers are still from Japanese and China gaming markets; both of them favour mobile games due to each region’s way of consuming games (short and quick). Guess stay-at-home orders due to COVID-19 pandemics are really making mobile game companies profit moreso than usual.