After two years since its initial announcement, Netflix has finally announced the star-studded cast of the upcoming The Sandman live-action adaptation of the comics of the same name by Neil Gaiman for Vertigo Comics.
Check out the castings (via Deadline) below:
- Tom Sturridge is Dream, Lord of the Dreaming.
- Gwendoline Christie is Lucifer, Ruler of Hell.
- Vivienne Acheampong is Lucienne, chief librarian and trusted guardian of Dream’s realm.
- Boyd Holbrook is The Corinthian, an escaped nightmare who wishes to taste all that the world has in store.
- Charles Dance is Roderick Burgess, Charlatan, blackmailer and magician.
- Asim Chaudry is Abel and Sanjeev Bhaskar is Cain, the first victim and the first predator, residents and loyal subjects of the Dream Realm.
Netflix also provided a brief description of the series:
“A rich blend of modern myth and dark fantasy in which contemporary fiction, historical drama and legend are seamlessly interwoven, The Sandman follows the people and places affected by Morpheus, the Dream King, as he mends the cosmic — and human — mistakes he’s made during his vast existence.”
For those unfamiliar with the source material, The Sandman tells the tale of Morpheus/Dream, a powerful and near-immortal being who presided over the realm of Dreams as he attempted to correct mistakes he’d made over the course of his existence. Along the way, he meets other immortal beings and interesting figures.
In the meantime, head on over here to check out our list of the top ten best comics from the Vertigo Comics imprint.