It looks like the times might be a-changing. The Xbox Series X and S were the UK’s best selling consoles in January 2021, outselling both the PS5 and the Nintendo Switch for the first time since launch.
According to GamesIndustry.biz, overall console sales increased a whopping 148 percent in the UK, with the Xbox Series X and S selling the best, followed by the Nintendo Switch, and the PS5 in third place. However, the biggest reason why the Xbox Series X/S and Nintendo Switch are selling more consoles than the PS5 might be due to one simple reason; that the PS5 remains out of stock in many locations.
Even in terms of peripherals, the new Xbox Series X/S Wireless Controller sold more units than the PS5’s DualSense controller, with the PS4’s DualShock 4 at third place. Meanwhile, accounting for only physical copies, Nintendo Switch exclusive Animal Crossing New Horizons was the best-selling game of the month, followed by Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and GTA V. The best-selling new release was IO Interactive’s Hitman 3 at twelfth place.
You can head on over here for our thoughts and review of both the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S.
Check out the top 20 best-selling games in the UK in January 2021 (physical copies only):
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo)
- Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)
- Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
- Just Dance 2021 (Ubisoft)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (Activision Blizzard)
- Minecraft Switch (Nintendo/Microsoft)
- FIFA 21 (EA)
- Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo)
- Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Sony)
- Assassin’s Creed Valhalla (Ubisoft)
- Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Nintendo)
- Hitman 3 (IO Interactive)
- New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (Nintendo)
- Super Mario Odyssey (Nintendo)
- 51 Worldwide Games (Nintendo)
- Immortals Fenyx Rising (Ubisoft)
- LEGO Harry Potter Collection (Warner Bros)
- Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
- Pokémon Sword (Nintendo)
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo)