Netflix has unveiled a trailer for the upcoming new Shaman King anime with English subtitles. This confirms that the reboot of Hiroyuki Takei’s Shaman King manga adaptation will be coming to Netflix sometime in 2021.
In Japan, the anime will premiere on 1 April 2021 and will adapt all 35 volumes of the manga’s new complete edition. The first Shaman King anime ran from 2001 to 2002 for 64 episodes, though it deviated from the manga, which was incomplete at the time.
The anime’s cast includes:
- Yōko Hikasa as Yoh Asakura.
- Katsuyuki Konishi as Amidamaru.
- Megumi Hayashibara as Anna Kyōyama.
- Inuko Inuyama as Manta Oyamada.
- Romi Park as Tao Ren.
- Kousuke Takaguchi as Bason.
- Masahiko Tanaka as Ryunosuke Umemiya.
- Wataru Takagi as Tokagerō.
- Yūji Ueda as Horohoro.
- Megumi Nakajima as Kororo.
- Michiko Neya as Tao Jun.
- Tooru Sakurai as Lee Pailong.
- Nana Mizuki as Tamao Tamamura.
- Takumu Miyazono as Ponchi.
- Noriaki Kanze as Konchi.
- Takehito Koyasu as Faust VIII.
- Masakazu Morita as Mosuke.
- Minami Takayama as Hao Asakura.
- Rina Hidaka as Pirika.
- Yoko Soumi as Lyserg Diethel.
- Motoko Kumai as Joco (Chocolove) McDonell.
- Yui Horie as Jeanne.
- Yūichi Nakamura as Marco.
Joji Furuta (The Seven Deadly Sins: Revival of The Commandments, Uta no Prince Sama Maji Love Kingdom, Double Decker! Doug & Kirill, ēlDLIVE) is directing the new anime at studio Bridge (Fairy Tail, The Royal Tutor).
Shoji Yonemura (Pokémon franchise, Wave, Listen to Me!) is in charge of the series scripts.
Satohiko Sano (Heybot!, Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun, Talentless Nana) is designing the characters.
Yuki Hayashi (My Hero Academia, Haikyu!!) is composing the music, with King Record as the music producer.
Fans will be happy to learn that Megumi Hayashibara will return to perform the anime’s opening song “Soul salvation” and ending theme song “#Boku no Yubisaki” (My Fingertip). She previously performed two opening songs and two ending songs for the 2001 Shaman King anime.
Check out the synopsis for Shaman King, according to Kodansha USA Publishing and Comixology Originals (via Anime News Network):
In the world of Shaman King, shamans possess mysterious powers that allow them to commune with gods, spirits, and even the dead…and Manta Oyamada’s about to learn all about them, because his class just welcomed a new transfer student: Yoh Asakura, a boy from way off in Izumo…and a shaman in training!