Women represent half or more of the global gaming population, but they’re still not receiving proper representation in the games industry. The Singapore Games Association, in partnership with Ambassade De France A Singapour, is hosting an online lecture series that aims at tackling gender inequality in the gaming industry.
The first session “Gaming Industry Careers & Gender Equality: Please wait, still loading…” will lead the discussion on gender diversity in the industry, as well as on different career path opportunities for underrepresented genders. This takes place from 3pm to 4.30pm GMT+8 on 19 March 2021.
The second session “Gender representation in Games: new avatars loading?” will focus on existing gender bias in game content. This takes place from 4.30pm to 6pm GMT+8 on 19 March 2021.
From storytelling to characterisation, the panellists will look at how the games industry can better adapt to offer a more truthful representation of society and its diversity. They consist of prominent women in the local games industry, including the following:
- Teo Kah Hui (Women in Games Singapore Ambassador)
- Ariana Yeo (Student and Vice President of the NTU Esports Society)
- Rika Lim (Ubisoft Singapore Lead Level Designer)
- Sophie Mallinson (Electronic Arts Vancouver Senior Game Designer)
- Ms Gwen Guo (Singapore Games Association Chairperson)
- Dr Sim Jiaying (Digipen Assistant Professor)
- Ms Jennifer Lufau (Afrogameuses Founder)
- Ms Angela Mejia (Clever Plays Co-Founder and Studio Head)