We finally have more information on PlatinumGames’ latest game Sol Cresta, which is a 2D shmup.
PlatinumGames chief game designer and Twitter block button aficionado Hideki Kamiya talks about the next sequel to Moon Cresta and Terra Cresta, as well as have the game’s director Takanori Sato detail the game’s unique mechanics:
The three ships that form the big ship Yamato -Amaterasu, Tsukuyomi, and Susano- can split and re-dock at any time during combat. By doing this, you can change the Yamato’s weaponry and choose the best guns for the job.
- Unit 01: Amaterasu – This ship represents the sun and has lasers as its main weapon. Dock it in the lead to use the Tri Laser! While not very powerful, it fires lasers in three directions! Dock it in the center to use the Wide Laser! You can shoot a giant laser that eradicates enemies!
- Unit 02: Tsukuyomi – This ship represents the moon and has missiles as its main weapon. Dock it in the lead to use the Electro Missile! This missile homes in on enemies and delivers a jolt on impact! Dock it in the center to use the Full Burst Missile! This fires a barrage of missiles with enhanced homing, leaving the enemy with nowhere to run!
- Unit 03: Susano – This ship represents Earth and has drills as its main weapon. Dock it in the lead to use the Drill Shot! This fires a multi-hit drill that pierces enemies and can crack stone! Dock it in the center to use the Gigaton Drill!！ This activates a giant drill that pulverizes approaching enemies! Mash the button to make it spin faster!
When the three ships are split up, they can get into special Formations and gain access to Formation Shots for a short time. This requires energy though:
- Delta Formation – This formation fires a huge volley of shots over a wide range to wipe out enemies! Single shots aren’t very powerful, so don’t waste them on strong enemies!
- Moon Formation – This formation fires large, crescent-shaped shots to the left and right! With this shot you can deal heavy damage to the enemy’s flank!
- Afterburner Formation – This formation fires three deadly lasers to the rear! They’re difficult to aim, but their power is unmatched!
Sol Cresta will be out for PS4, Nintendo Switch, and PC via Steam in 2021. The game will also feature music from Yuzo Koshiro.