Atlus just showcased more new content & features for its upcoming JRPG sequel Shin Megami Tensei 5. You know, the one with the post-apocalyptic Tokyoverse & demon-summoning/recruiting, and the handsome demon protagonist with the lovely blue locks.
Here are the official descriptions of the new characters: Shohei Yakumo, Nuwa, and Abdiel:
- Shohei Yakumo (voiced by Tomokazu Sugita) – “I thought you’d be cleaning up the stragglers… but he looks like no angel I’ve seen.” A mysterious man who stands in the way of the protagonist as he advances through Da’at. “Take solace in our meeting, boy. I’ll make your death a painless one.” He has labeled himself as “he who hunts all demons.” “Maybe then you’ll see the truth.” His motives and true colors remain unknown, but he seems to work alongside Nuwa, a demon. “See gods and demons alike fighting over humanity… and Tokyo caught in the crossfire.”
- Nuwa, Lady (voiced by Ayana Taketatsu) – A goddess that appears in Chinese mythology. “Are you part of the reinforcements sent by Bethel? The man beside me is Yakumo…” She’s worked alongside Yakumo since he was young to fulfill a certain goal. “I suppose one could say he is my other half. The angels that infested this area are now dead.” She suddenly appears before the protagonist, and attacks. “And I daresay they could use some company.”
- Abdiel, Archangel & Bethel’s Deputy Angel Commander (voiced by Romi Park) – An angel who oversees Bethel’s headquarters. “Am I to understand you went against the Condemnation?” Stern and uncompromising, she eradicates anyone who threatens the order of Bethel through sheer force. “Answer, boy. Bethel will have no mercy for one who violates the will of God.” She’s fervently devoted to God and is committed to defending his order at all costs. “It is a duty I am sure you will continue to perform.”
Skill Management System
Players can collect Essences, spiritual entities embedded with demon powers that you can fuse onto the main characters to customize skills to your liking. So if you want to get the power to negate Fire attacks (but also the weakness of Ice) from that red fairy Hua Po, you just fuse her to your hero.
Players can also earn Glory, which you can use to learn power-ups called Miracles. Here are some examples of Miracles:
- Enhanced Summon: Demon allies summoned in battle will have a random stat raised by one rank, and they encompass skills that assist you during battle, affect negotiation outcomes, fusions, skill potentials, and even stat-building.
- Pacification: If a demon’s mood sours mid-negotiation, they may forgive you.
- Unforgotten Memories: Newly fused demons will gain EXP based on the stats of the demons fused.
Other Additions & Improvements
Players can fast-forward special effects for skills during battles by altering them in the Options menu. Players can also turn on Auto Play to repeat standard attacks for those times you want to just farm low-level enemies. Don’t use this if you’re fighting against Physical-Reflecting jerks like Rangda and Girimekhala though.