The manly sport of golf gets a 2D representation set in the underworld thanks to this upcoming indie game.
Thunderful Publishing and developer Chuhai Labs have announced a 2D roguelike action title called Cursed to Golf, and it is what it sounds like: golf your way out of the underworld. Here’s a story blurb:
“Play as The Cursed Golfer, trapped in Golf Purgatory after a freak accident takes you out as you’re about to take the winning shot of an international tournament! Legend says that playing through the devious courses across Golf Purgatory will get you back to the land of the living and, more importantly, to the trophy you were about to win. Each course is governed by a ghostly Legendary Caddie, who will tutor you in the mystical ways of golf to aid you on your quest for redemption and revival.”
To win, you need to hit your balls through the hole within the PAR counter, otherwise the golf curse takes you back to the beginning of the course. These courses will have spikes, fans, and TNT boxes as hazards, to name a few. As a cursed being though, you have skills to help you out like being able to look at the whole course before making a shot and Ace Cards to warp the playing field to your advantage.
Other key features include:
- Explore the golf-themed world and characters of Golf Purgatory.
- Precise “Golf-Like” gameplay across a randomly-ordered course in four biomes.
- Navigate tough dungeon-like holes filled with wacky hazards.
- Golf in style using over 20 unique Ace Card power-ups.
- Challenge the world in online leaderboards.
- Over 80 holes and the Daily Challenge Mode will keep you swinging for eternity.
Cursed to Golf will be out for Nintendo Switch and PC in 2022.