Genshin Impact version 2.1 adds in a much-requested feature that’s usually a staple for all RPGs: fishing.
Yes, the craft of catching aquatic life for sport is now a bountiful thing in Mihoyo’s money-making anime-inspired RPG. Also, jumping into bodies of water and just hitting the F key to catch fish is getting a little old; it’s time to catch fish with some class and pizazz.
Besides, there are some materials and blueprints you can get by exchanging the deadliest (?) catch with specific characters and vendors. Before we start, do check out our existing Genshin Impact guides:
How To Unlock Fishing In Genshin Impact
You need to have Adventure Rank 30 or above, as well as have the Serenitea Pot housing system unlocked.
Then, you can take part in the Exploding Population quest via talking to Katherine at the Adventurer’s Guild in Mondstadt. You’ll then speak to Nantuck the angler who will teach you the basics of fishing in Genshin Impact.
How To Fish
- Press F near a fishing school to get started.
- Hold the left mouse button to aim to begin fishing.
- Release it to cast your line.
- Wait until the fish is attracted to the bait; the splash animation is your cue. Press the left mouse button not hook it.
- If you’re successful, a tension bar will appear. You’ll need to click and release the mouse button alternately to keep the indicator within the specified area (ala Breath of Fire series).
- Do this until the circular bar fills all the way. When that’s done, you’ve caught your fish; congratulations.
Keep in mind that different high-tier fishes will need specific bait, so you need to do your research on which bait is best. Pick up bait blueprints from the various Fishing Associations all over Teyvat, then create them at the crafting bench.
Genshin Impact Fishing Locations
Golden Koi and Rusty Koi Locations
You can catch these rare fishes at the Wangshu Inn fishing spot, the Guili Plains spot, the Luhua Pool spot, and the Koseki Village spot (via Gosunoob). The best bait for these exquisite fishes are Fruit Paste Bait and Glowgrass Bait.
For more Genshin Impact help, check out our Inazuma second half content guide.