Disney has announced that several Marvel Studios movies and others have been delayed from their initial release dates. These include many Marvel Cinematic Universe movies.
Check them out below (via Variety):
- Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness – Delayed from 25 March 2022 to 6 May 2022.
- Thor Love And Thunder – Delayed from 6 May 2022 to 8 July 2022.
- Black Panther Wakanda Forever – Delayed from 8 July 2022 to 11 November 2022.
- Indiana Jones 5 – Delayed from 29 July 2022 to 30 June 2023.
- The Marvels – Delayed from 11 November 2022 to 17 February 2023.
- Ant-Man And The Wasp Quantumania – Delayed from 17 February 2023 to 28 July 2023.
- Untitled Marvel Movie – Moved forward from 10 November 2023 to 3 November 2023.
It’s currently unclear why Disney is delaying some of these future MCU movies months after their initial release dates. I speculate that perhaps they’re saving the first few months of 2022 to shine the spotlight on several more Disney+ series like Ms Marvel, Moon Knight and She-Hulk.
Before Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness, Doctor Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) will be playing a prominent role in Spider-Man No Way Home in December 2021. Perhaps something big will happen in that movie that will affect the MCU moving forward and Marvel Studios wanted to give us time to accept it? Who knows at this point.
Benedict Cumberbatch also reprised his role in Marvel’s What If…? as a variant of Doctor Strange called Doctor Strange Supreme. Perhaps we’ll see more of him in the future? Fingers crossed.
Courtesy of Disney+ Hotstar Malaysia, we were recently lucky enough to participate in a roundtable interview with Marvel’s What If…? Executive Producer Brad Winderbaum, Head Writer AC Bradley, and Director Bryan Andrews. You can check out that interview by heading over here.
Recently, we also interviewed Marvel’s What If…? Editors Graham Fisher and Joel Fisher, Animation Supervisor Stephan Franck, and Head of Visual Development and Character Design Ryan Meinerding. You can check out that interview by heading over here.