2D search action game Shantae and the Seven Sirens, an arguably inferior sequel to past Shantae titles, is getting a bunch of new updates for free.
Dubbed the Spectacular Superstar update, this free DLC introduces four new modes which are available right now:
- Definitive Mode – A more challenging “director’s cut” that features classic Shantae difficulty, with rebalanced item drops and magic consumption, as well as more-intense boss fights and new dialogue with the Sirens before each battle.
- Full Deck Mode – Definitive Mode with a twist. Start with all 50 Monster Cards to customize Shantae’s abilities to your liking.
- Rule Breaker Mode – Definitive Mode without limits. You can equip up to 50 Monster Cards at once to gain ultimate power.
- Beginner Mode – Definitive Mode made simple. This easy mode makes it impossible to lose! Perfect for newcomers or those who just want to explore the world and enjoy the story.
- Legacy Mode – Experience the game in its original, unaltered form, ala the original Shantae (perhaps?).
These new modes at least fixed the problem of the original Shantae and the Seven Sirens: it was too darn easy and the later powerups in the game are broken to the point of not making the game fun. So that’s great of developer WayForward to take that initiative.
Other free chances and enhancements include improved dialogue, additional map objectives and game hints (that you can toggle on and off), and a new Hula Costume that bumps up the difficulty of the game. The latter can only be acquired after beating the game once.
Shantae and the Seven Sirens is available now for PC, Nintendo Switch, PS4, and Xbox One. A PS5 version is in development.